[Pythonmac-SIG] Building NumPy for Python.framework

Michael Dunstan michael@looma.co.nz
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:18:02 +1200

On Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002, at 07:22 Pacific/Auckland, Just van Rossum
wrote:

> Seth Delackner wrote:
>
>> I had this *exact* same problem until I nuked my old
>> /usr/local/bin/python* and reinstalled from 2.2.1's release
>> source.tar.gz, following letter for letter the instructions in the
>> Mac/OSX/README file.  Thing to remember is that installing the
>> framework
>> build does NOT create simlinks in /usr/local/bin, so old versions of
>> python sitting there can screw it all up.
>
> Hm, that's bad :-(. The thing is, I don't want to nuke my
> /usr/local/bin/python
> until I have the framework completely working, as I'm kindof attached
> to having
> a working command line Python with a whole bunch of 3d party
> extension...

How about explicitly selecting the python you want to install it into?
In other words use the full path for the executable rather than rely
your shell just finding a python on your path. For example

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python setup.py
build

That is what I did to get Numeric "into" my framework build of CVS
python.

Michael.