[Pythonmac-SIG] Jaguar Macho Build woes

Lance E Sloan lsloan@umich.edu
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:21:38 -0400

--On Wednesday, September 25, 2002 12:29 -0500 "Stephen R. Figgins"
<fig@monitor.net> wrote:
> I am following Tony Lownds instructions for Macho Python + Tkinter and
> compiling on Jaguar.

Isn't it fun?  :)

When I followed his instructions, I couldn't get it to build without an X11
package (like XDarwin) installed.  I didn't want to install X11.  I emailed
Tony and he suggested that I download the latest source release of Tcl/Tk
(8.4.0) and build the frameworks myself, rather than using the pre-release
versions (8.4a4) of the binaries that are available.

Tony forwarded some instructions from the Mac TCL mailing list
(tcl-mac@lists.sourceforge.net) for building the frameworks.  I did that,
then I followed Tony's instructions from step three onward and I've ended
up with a working Python.app with IDLE.

The problem I've had is that if I run this new Python interpreter from a
Terminal shell prompt, when I use Tkinter to open a Tk window, if I try to
click on that window, I get an error, "SetFrontProcess failed,-606".  Tony
said this is happening a lot.  He suggested I use pythonw, which didn't
build for me and I haven't figured out how to do it yet, or try Python 2.3
which "automagically" builds a Mac IDE for Python and apparently doesn't
have this problem.  I haven't had time to try that yet.

--
Lance E Sloan
Web Services, Univ. of Michigan: Full-service Web and database design,