[Pythonmac-SIG] Getting rid of BuildApplet

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:20:39 -0700

>I'm thinking of getting rid of BuildApplet for MacPython 2.3. The
>functionality is available through the IDE and through a command
>line tool, and I think the task isn't common enough to warrant a
>separate Applet in Applications->MacPython-2.3.
>
>Opinions?

If it is not too much trouble to maintain, I vote for keeping it. I
personally use it frequently as I write a lot of droplets.

I realize there are other ways to create them, but consider:
- Folks who are building applets may not be sure what to do with the
command line. Having a droplet saves explaining it.
- It's an obvious paradigm. Use a droplet to create a droplet.
- I confess I don't personally use the IDE. Partly this is because I
do a lot of Tkinter programming (in addition to droplet programming),
which it doesn't support. Partly it's because I'm quite fond of
Pepper.

-- Russell