[Pythonmac-SIG] Getting rid of BuildApplet

Bob Heeter bob@heeter.net
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:58:52 -0700

>I'm thinking of getting rid of BuildApplet for MacPython 2.3. The functionality is available through the IDE and through a command line tool, and I think the task isn't common enough to warrant a separate Applet in Applications->MacPython-2.3.
>
>Opinions?

Are we only eliminating the BuildApplet applet, or are we also killing off
the BuildApplet.py module?  I don't mind seeing it die, but I do find it
very useful and would like to know if there's an OS 9 non-IDE workaround
for it, at least until I can get a new OS X box to run my stuff.

I'm still using BuildApplet on a 3400-class PowerBook G3.  I've never found
the IDE very useful for what I need to do with Python.
I need BuildApplet rather than BuildApplication because it lets
me make executable top-level wrapper scripts (which are run periodically with
an OS 9 implementation of Cron) and yet also allows me to frequently
modify the underlying modules (around 10,000 lines of Python now)
without recompiling anything.  This saves me a fair amount of time and hassle.

--

Bob Heeter
Livermore, California