[Pythonmac-SIG] help build unix python on Mac

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:47:20 +0200

On maandag, apr 21, 2003, at 21:10 Europe/Amsterdam, Russell E Owen
wrote:

> I've already installed a framework build of Python 2.2.2 (with Aqua Tk
> 8.4.1) from source. I would also like a non-framework build that uses
> unix X style Tk windows (so I can see how my application will look to
> unix users).
>
> The problem I have is I keep getting a python that uses the Aqua
> (framework) Tk instead of the unix X Tk that I also have installed.
>
> Any hints on how to do this? Details on what I tried are appended.

Look in setup.py in the toplevel Python source directory. It had a
large amount of code that specifically tries to locate your Tcl and Tk.
There's a special section that is executed first that looks for AquaTk.
If you disable that (*and* if you have installed X11 and a normal X11
Tcl/Tk too, in the usual place)
the normal unix code should kick in and you should get an _tkinter that
uses that.

I haven't tried this, though, so please let us know whether it works:-)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -