[Pythonmac-SIG] Organizing the MacPython website

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:58:13 +0200

Folks,
I'm at a dead end as far as organizing the new MacPython website is
concerned, and as I want to have this finished soon I need a couple of
kicks in the right direction.

In order of importance, I don't know what has to be on the site, I
don't know how to organize it, and I don't know what it should look
like. Well, I have some ideas, but not enough. Shoot away.

First on the content. Here's what I think should be there (note that
these probably don't all need to be on a page of their own):
- A quick (2 paragraph?) introduction to Python, pointing to
www.python.org for more detail.
- An introduction to MacPython-OSX, explaining what extra goodies there
are when compared to Python on other platforms.
- An explanation of the various Pythons for MacOSX (MacPython-OSX,
/usr/bin/python, other unix distributions including 2.2.2 and fink,
maybe more).
- A documentation section (mainly pointing to www.python.org)
- A community section (listing this mailing list,
comp.lang.python{.help}, and again pointing to www.python.org).
- Developers info (listing alfa and beta releases, cvs access, and
again www.python.org).
- A download page.
- An FAQ.
- A page with older MacPythons (MacPython-OS9 and older), plus
platforms they run on.
- Information on Jython?
- Comparison of /usr/bin/python, MacPython-OSX, fink-python, Jython?
- Sections on special topics. We definitely need a section on GUI
programming and applescripting, possibly later also on scientific
computing and more (although for these we could again refer to common
pages on www.python.org or so).

Anything I miss?

As to organization things are even muddier. The standard commercial
breakdown of Products/Download/Support/Company doesn't work, I think,
and I don't see a a simple modification that does. I also don't like
the organization of 99% of the open source sites I visited, as they all
seem to think that you come to the site already knowing what you need.
And as we can see from the questions here a lot of people don't know
what they need, possibly not even what they already have (hence I want
the info on Apple's Python too).

I've done mental experiments with the www.python.org organization
(logical organization, that is, as presented by the layout of the
homepage), with sections at the top and subsections at the left side,
where the sebsections of the home page are the "quick navigation"), but
I can't get it to work either.

Design is probably the least important, but here I really have no clue.
On the one hand sticking to www.python.org style would have the benefit
of being recognizable to old Python hands, but when compared to other
Macintosh pages it looks like something from the dark ages. The good
news here, though, is that other people are thinking about
www.python.org, so that may lead to something.

http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -