[Pythonmac-SIG] What should be on sys.path for MacPython 2.3

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:32:58 +0200

On Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003, at 11:47 Europe/Amsterdam, Eric Nieuwland
wrote:

> I would like to see a repeated structure at each of ~/Library/Python,
> /Library/Python, and possibly /Network/Library/Python. That way it
> would be easy to try things locally (or personally) first and then
> promote then to a higher level. Giving the order User > Machine >
> Network.

This has two problems:
- There is a lot of code in the Python core that wouldn't understand
it, and teaching it about this structure would be a major undertaking.
For example, distutils expects there's a single Python tree, it won't
be able to pick up Include files or the Makefile from different
locations.
- The order you suggest (user->machine->network) goes against the
Python dictum of "add functionality, but don't replace existing
functionality", which is clear from, for instance, the place where
site-packages is on sys.path.
Goldman