[Pythonmac-SIG] Can I move the MacPython-2.3 folder?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Aug 1 17:10:37 EDT 2003

On Friday, Aug 1, 2003, at 15:02 Europe/Amsterdam, Schollnick, Benjamin
wrote:

>> Things will break in the future, though: in one of the
>> PackMan threads
>> we discuss installing
>> documentation and sample code into /Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras.
>
> Why hard code the directory?
>
> You can find out where python is running simply by getting the
> directory
> path...
> or if you insist on hard coding....

This may be doable if you are running Package Manager (either
standalone or
through PythonIDE), because sys.argv[0] may have the information. It
will
fail if you run pimp.py from the command line, though.

I'll see what I can do. At the very least I'll make packages that
install
into Extras dependent on a pseudo-package that tests whether we can
find the
correct place to install. Hmm, coming to think of it: the same is true
for
the IDLE installer, which currently installs into
/Applications/MacPython-2.3
unconditionally.
Goldman