[Pythonmac-SIG] Has anyone running vtk+python on OSX?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Aug 2 00:50:54 EDT 2003

On vrijdag, aug 1, 2003, at 19:54 Europe/Amsterdam, Robb Brown wrote:

> Uh oh.  Did this change from Python 2.2 to 2.3?  Last I checked VTK
> DOES use -flat_namespace (at least for Carbon).

Yes, it changed. And I would have dearly liked to change it for 2.2.1,
but vtk used it, so I couldn't in the name of backward compatibility:-(
The flat namespace is a hole big enough to drive a truck through: *any*
global symbol used by *any* module will be satisfied by a symbol with
the same name from anything that was by chance loaded previously. This
will lead to spectacular crashes, that will miraculously disappear when
you try to debug them in isolation:-)

Does vtk run on windows? If it does it must have a way around the trick
of using symbols exported by something imported earlier. There are
various possibilities: a common shared library used to communicate
between the modules, a cobject with pointers exported from module A
imported by module B, a poor mans version of the latter using a string
with a magic name (Numeric does this)...
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -