[Pythonmac-SIG] PackageManager philosophy

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Aug 2 01:44:08 EDT 2003

Changing the subject on this, because it is important.

On zaterdag, aug 2, 2003, at 00:17 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> So this is what you've been doing for every package?!  Wow.
>
> What I do is download a package, chdir to its folder, make sure it
> builds (if I don't know this already), type makepimp, edit the plist
> if I need to, and then makepimp sync to upload the new plist ;)

Yes, I already got the impression this is what you did:-)

I think we have rather different ideas on what Package Manager is, and
it's probably good if we work out whether it can be both.

I think that to you Package Manager is mainly PyPI on steroids: not
only does it allow the end user to find packages, but it builds them as
well. The database maintainer once creates the build recipes, and
hopefully that is all s/he ever does, preferably updates of the package
should be handled by the package author, or else with as little trouble
for the database maintainer as possible. Right?

To me Package Manager is a way to split a Batteries Included
distribution into multiple manageable parts. The database maintainer
does similar work to what a System Integrator does for turnkey systems:
combine the parts, test them, take responsibility for the end product.
I didn't call him/her "scapegoat" for nothing:-) (Incidentally: I want
to get rid of the term. Anyone a better idea? System Integrator is too
serious, Database Manager too vague...) That the "database manager" may
in actuality be multiple people doesn't really matter, to the end user
they're a single entity with a single email address who take
responsibility for things in the database working.

Note that "responsible" should be taken with the open source context in
mind: "morally responsible" is probably as far as it goes, if that far.
I have been "responsible" for MacPython distributions for a couple of
years. Not because you could sue me if they don't work, not because I
did all the work on them, but simply because I created the final
installer and they have my name on it as the first point of contact.

I'll explain tomorrow why I think the two uses may bite each other, and
also why I think that having lots and lots of packages may actually be
a bad thing in stead of a good thing.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -