[Pythonmac-SIG] UpGrading + Pygame

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sun Aug 3 00:15:15 EDT 2003

On zaterdag, aug 2, 2003, at 19:26 Europe/Amsterdam, João Leão wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm reporting this because i don't remember seeing much feedback about
> installing MacPython 2.3 (final) on top of previous versions (maybe
> everyone's doing that?).
>
> My previous MacPython was 2.3b2-2 and i'm running OS X 10.2.6.
> The reason i didn't want to make a clean installation was because i
> was using PyGame. I got it from Andrew Straw and, at that time, his
> version (MacPython 2.3a2 + PyGame Stuff) was the only (?) binary
> installer.
> MacPython 2.3a2 had some bugs (for ex: PM wasn't working) and i
> "upgraded" to 2.3b2-2.
>
> Finally, i installed 2.3 (final) and i was glad to see that PyGame
> continues to work.

If it works: great! But "officially" (whatever that means) this is
discouraged, as there are no guarantees that alfa's and beta's are
compatible with anything. In other words, we _could_ have changed APIs
between 2.3b2 and 2.3 final, which would have stopped your pygame
extension modules working. At best you would get an import error with
an undefined symbol, at worst you would get a crash.

I'm 99% sure that the only change to the API between b2 and final was
the addition of a method to interrupt the main thread from another
thread, so you should be safe for this release.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -