[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: PackMan->ChapMan

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Sat Aug 2 15:31:02 EDT 2003

> From: John Miller
>
> > Then at a hunch I picked up the dictionary, and it turns out the
> > (old-)english word for a traveling salesman in assorted wares
> > ("marskramer" for those who speak dutch) is: "Chapman".
>
> The first thing I thought of when I read this was 'Johnny Appleseed'
> whose real name was 'John Chapman'. I then thought the name 'Chapman'
> quite clever for an Apple-derived product. However, I also agree with
> those who see 'Package Manager' as perfectly simple and
> self-descriptive. Perhaps the name 'Chapman' would be more appropriate
> for some other aspect of the MacPython package; an editor? or file
> browser? or...?

For future reference

  http://us.imdb.com/Name?Chapman,%20Graham

However, I think this shows why Monty Python sketches, cast members, etc.
generally don't make very good names for Python projects regardless of the
number of puns and other clever references you might be able to associate
with the name.

ka