[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble with MacPython 2.3 on 10.2.6

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Aug 5 19:37:33 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Aug 5, 2003, at 17:59 America/New_York, Adam Augustine
wrote:

> I should start out by saying that my experience with Mac OS X and
> Python is pretty limited, though I have a decent Unix background.
>
> I am running 10.2.6 and downloaded and installed MacPython 2.3. I have
> not been able to get the PackageManager, PythonIDE, nor BuildApplet to
> run. All fail with the following error in the console:
>
> Aug  5 15:41:57 Blue WindowServer[1360]: ERROR!
> execle(/Applications/MacPython-2.3/BuildApplet.app/Contents/MacOS/
> BuildApplet) returned, err=22
>
> Replaceing "BuildApplet" with the respective application name.
>
> I am unable to find a satifactory/official explanation of this error
> by googling and searching info.apple.com. The closest I can find is a
> statement on someone's weblog that the application was compiled for a
> different CPU, which seems unlikely to me (in case it really does
> matter, I am running a G3 300 Mhz).
>
> I am trying to run a Tkinter app (Pyla, a fax client for HylaFAX), and
> downloaded MacPython 2.3 when I found out the 10.2 built-in python
> didn't support Tkinter.
>
> I the course of trying to get this to work, I have also installed
> TclTkAquaBI-8.4.2.0.
>
> While I suppose it I could give compiling from scratch a go, I am
> reluctant since I need to deploy this on all the Macs in the company I
> set this up for, and having pretty installers always makes the client
> happy. I am not too comfortable building an installer for Mac OS X
> (unless someone has a recipe for doing it)
>
> Can anyone help me out? What am I doing wrong?

err=22 apparently means EINVAL (Invalid Argument).  execle -> execve
isn't even supposed to return that according to the man pages.

Open up a terminal and run:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python

See if it loads properly.. you should see exactly this:
Python 2.3 (#2, Jul 30 2003, 11:45:28)
[GCC 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)] on darwin

Make sure to check that your version string matches mine, if it's ok,
then hit ctrl-d to quit.

If that worked fine, try running this:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/
Contents/MacOS/Python

Python 2.3 (#2, Jul 30 2003, 11:45:28)
[GCC 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)] on darwin
 >>> import MacOS
 >>> MacOS.WMAvailable()
True

You have to type in the import MacOS and MacOS.WMAvailable()  .. at
this point you *should* see a bouncing trapezoid icon in the dock.  If
you *do* see it, then I have no idea why PackageManager won't work.  If
either of these behaves differently for you, post your results to the
list and we may be able to figure it out from there.  There shouldn't
be any G4 specific code in the distribution.  Did you install Tcl/Tk
before or after Python 2.3?