[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble with MacPython 2.3 on 10.2.6

Adam Augustine adama at augustinefam.org
Wed Aug 6 10:25:06 EDT 2003

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Tuesday, Aug 5, 2003, at 19:01 America/New_York, Adam Augustine  wrote:
>>>
>>> You have to type in the import MacOS and MacOS.WMAvailable()  .. at
>>> this point you *should* see a bouncing trapezoid icon in the dock.
>>> If  you *do* see it, then I have no idea why PackageManager won't
>>> work.  If  either of these behaves differently for you, post your
>>> results to the  list and we may be able to figure it out from
>>> there.   There shouldn't  be any G4 specific code in the
>>> distribution.  Did  you install Tcl/Tk  before or after Python 2.3?
>>> -bob
>>
>> Worked just as you said it should. Nice bouncing 16 ton
>> paperweight(?)  in the dock (which properly (I suppose) disappears
>> when I ctrl-d at  the python prompt).
>>
>> I downloaded TclTkAquaBI-8.4.2.0.dmg and installed it AFTER I
>> installed MacPython-OSX-2.3-1.dmg the first time. Thinking that
>> perhaps it needed to be re-installed (based on my understanding of
>> the  tkinter FAQs on python.org talking about Modules/Setup and
>> recompiling) I re-ran the MacPython installer (a few times now). What
>> I haven't done is remove MacPython, since I haven't figured out how
>> package management works in OS X (I didn't want to just rm -r since I
>> wasn't sure if it would corrput some package management database).
>

> rm -r is pretty safe, OS X's package management system doesn't really
> care.  The worst it does is label the button "upgrade" when it's really
> a new install (b/c you killed the old one).  Try rm -rf
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework /Applications/MacPython-2.3 .. and
> then go ahead and install it again and see if PythonIDE or
> PackageManager work.  Neither of those actually depend on Tcl/Tk, so
> I'm having trouble guessing at what's wrong with your setup.
>
> -bob

Well, I've rm -rf 'ed both /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and
/Applications/MacPython-2.3 then re-run the MacPython-OSX.pkg installer.
I get the same error as before: execle(/path/to/application) returned,
err=22. I tried it twice. Any directories I may have missed? I didn't rm
the /usr/local/bin/ symlinks, but that shouldn't matter any... Is there
somewhere else I can look for error messages besides the console and
/var/log/system.log? Is there a way to run a debugger on it?

Thanks,
	Adam