[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: MacPython2.3 - locale problem in Idle

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Wed Aug 6 22:43:46 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, 6 August, 2003, at 21:32, Andre Posumentov wrote:

> Hi Ronald,
>
> That's what's puzzling me  - I'm in the UK, and my 'LANG' environment
> is set to 'en'.  Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original
> mail.
Did you manually set LANG? I'm running an (US) English system and don't
have an environment variable named LANG at all.

> Not 'unsupported', surely?

LANG='en_GB' does work. See /usr/share/locale/ for a list of supported
locales. There is an 'en' directory in there, but no 'en/LC_CTYPE'. The
manpage for setlocale explains how these files are used.

Ronald