[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble with MacPython 2.3 on 10.2.6

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Aug 7 00:51:25 EDT 2003

I'm going to reply only to the relevant parts here, and there's more
homework for
Adam:-)

On woensdag, 6 augustus 2003, at 20:01PM, Adam Augustine wrote:
> [...]

Ok, next step is to try running the applets from the Terminal command
line. Try running
% Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/PythonIDE
and tell us whether that gives you a working IDE.

Also, are there any things you have in your setup that are
non-standard, such as using a third-party Finder, or having replaced
the standard shell or something like that?

Oh yes, do you have anything strange (or, actually, anything at all) in
your .MacOSX/Environment.plist file?

Are you running this as the same user ID as the one you installed with?
Does it have admin privileges?

> What are the chances that the original version of python (which comes
> with 10.2.x) is causing problems with MacPython?

No problem that we know of, or can imagine.

> Something I have noticed is that even running /usr/local/bin/pythonw
> and trying (per the troubleshooting FAQs on python.org) "import
> _tkinter" fails, saying "No module named _tkinter" which strikes me as
> strange since (or maybe I misunderstood) MacPython includes all the
> necessary stuff for tkinter...

No, MacPython does *not* contain _tkinter. You can download and install
it through the Package Manager, once you get that to work. I think the
chances of this problem having anything to do with _tkinter are pretty
small.