[Pythonmac-SIG] What's this message mean?

Ronald_Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Thu Aug 7 15:30:44 EDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:15:14 -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote
> When I run a Tkinter app from the command line (in an xterm or from the
> Terminal app) the main window comes up okay, but it's not at the top
> of the window stack.  When I click its title, the window does not
> raise and this message is displayed in the terminal window:
>
>     SetFrontProcess failed,-606
>
> I have to pause the app (Ctl-Z) and kill it.

> Any suggestions?

Use pythonw instead of python to start the script.

Applications that use the WindowServer must be in a .app bundle, or must use an
undocumented API. pythonw is a shell script that starts a pyton interpreter that is inside a .app
bundle but is otherwise a normal interpreter.

Ronald