[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.3 docs are handy!

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Fri Aug 8 11:32:07 EDT 2003

On 8/8/03 10:11 AM, "Lance E Sloan" <lsloan at umich.edu> wrote:

> I just installed MacPython OSX 2.3 and used Package Manager to install the
> documentation, PyObjC, and a couple other things.  It went smoothly.

As a very new Pythonist, I've been noting the determined efforts of many of
you here (especially Jack) to get everything organized.

My own concern is that I will ultimately wish to use a version of Python
which will work with no need for ordinary users to download anything
whatsoever as long as they're using Panther when it's released. I can live
with that limitation. And if there are tools in MacPython that make things
easier or better for me while developing without losing that capability,
that sounds great. In fact, I can't imagine that otherwise there would be
any need for a separate MacPython, would there, if Panther contains Python
2.3?

What I would really appreciate in due course would be a document or website
that explained to me - who knows so far only what I've learned about Python
from tutorials and books - what advantages there would be for me to install
MacPython and ways to restrict my use of it to prevent any incompatibility
with released  unixy Python-to-come in Panther so that users will not need
any installations other than my apps. A document I could read _before_
installing MacPython, and which also explains any conflicts or
incompatibilities (or otherwise) I might have by having two different Python
installations on my computer. I realize all you here have umpteen
installations but I am really keen to keep my machine as close to a
potential user's as possible.

I imagine it's too soon to point me anywhere, but I'd appreciate if those of
you working on MacPython could keep this request in the back of your minds
and prepare something of the sort when the time is right. Think of me as a
total Python newbie, but not programming newbie, looking for guidance here
on the potential and ease-of-use of Python on the Mac. I suspect there are
quite a few people like me.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Paul Berkowitz