[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython for Panther

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 11 15:36:13 EDT 2003

Lance E Sloan <lsloan at umich.edu> writes:

> --On Friday, August 8, 2003 20:43 +0200 Ronald Oussoren
>   <oussoren at cistron.nl> wrote:
>> Apple doesn't include the GUI frontends (e.g. the IDE and Package
>> Manager). IIRC Jack already stated that he wants to do a MacPython for
>> Panther that contains only the bits that are not included by Apple.
>
> I hope that future versions of MacPython, released with Panther in
> mind, will be available as both "tools only" and "kitchen sink"
> packages.

That was the impression I got.

> I think most developers will need only the "tools only" package.
> There might be some that would want the "kitchen sink" package that
> includes the Python interpreter and supporting files that Apple
> would normally include with Panther.  For exmaple, to get a newer
> (or older) version, or to fix a broken installation.
>
> I agree with Mr. Berkowitz' desire to make as few changes to his
> development system as possible, in order to keep it similar to that of
> users of his software.  I hope that the MacPython releases will
> eventually be needed by developers only.  I wonder, though, if
> developers use the Package Manager to install packages for use in
> their software, how will end-users of that software install those
> packages?

Well, depending on various factors, two options are 1) tell them to
install Package Manager and use it to get packages X, Y and Z, if they
don't have them already and 2) use the --semi-standalone option to
bundlebuilder, which bundles all non-standard modules and extensions
into the .app.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Well, yes.  I don't think I'd put something like "penchant for anal
  play" and "able to wield a buttplug" in a CV unless it was relevant