[Pythonmac-SIG] Numeric headers and Package Manager

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 12 17:50:10 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I just installed 2.3 and then loaded most of the stuff in Package
Manager, and it all went swimmingly! Very nice job, Jack, and everyone
else involved.

I use Numeric a lot, including a bunch of extensions I've written and
need to compile. Unfortunately, the Numeric header files (most notably
arrayobject.h) are not installed by Package Manager. My solution is to
go download the source form sourceforge, and copy arrayobject.h  to:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3

Now I can compile my extensions with distutils in the usual way.

Would it make sense to do this by default? Or maybe have a Numeric-dev
package? by the way, ifyou do a standard setup.py install of Numeric,
it doesn't put the header in either, but at least in that case, you
have all the source right in front of you.

-Chris

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov