[Pythonmac-SIG] Default package installation in MacPython 2.3

Daniel Haertle haertle at iqe.phys.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 12 16:54:53 EDT 2003

Hello

I just released PyGallery 2.0beta, a thumbnail gallery generator with
TkInter GUI, see http://pygallery.sourceforge.net/

It works on Mac OS X, but the installation procedure reads a bit
lengthy:
    1. install MacPython-OSX 2.3 or later
    2. install TkTclAqua
    3. run PacketManager and install PIL and TkInter with it
    4. install PyGallery. This is done in the standard way, by opening
the disc image and copy the application by dragging it to the desired
position.
    5. ensure that the Python scripts inside PyGallery.app are loaded
with the new PythonLauncher2.3

Will TkInter and PIL ever be installed by default again (I liked this
so much in the old MacPython distributions). Also bundling TkTclAqua
with MacPython would be very nice, since as far as I see you cannot run
a TkInter script without it.

The second thing was that after installing MacPython 2.3 the .py
scripts are still opened by default with Python 2.2 (without GUI). Is
there a possibility to change that (for me as a packager or for you in
a later release of MacPython)?

My third and last question: by dragging the PyGallery.py script on
BuildApplet, I could build PyGallery.app, but only one module
(PyGallery.py) was in Contents/Resources/, and thus nothing worked. I
copied all other scripts in Contents/Resources/ and all works nicely.
Is this supposed to work so?

Regards, and thanks for the great work for Python on the Mac
Daniel

         Daniel Haertle        haertle at iqe.phys.ethz.ch
      _________________  ___   http://www.nlo.ethz.ch
     /  ____/_   __/  /_/  /   Nonlinear Optics Laboratory, HPF E18
    /  __/_  /  / /  __   /    Institute of Quantum Electronics, ETHZ
   /______/ /__/ /__/ /__/     8093 Zuerich   -   Switzerland
                               Tel +41 1 63 32338    Fax +41 1 63 31056