[Pythonmac-SIG] Numeric headers and Package Manager

Rob Managan managan at llnl.gov
Wed Aug 13 12:39:48 EDT 2003

>Jack Jansen wrote:
>
>>  > The Numeric setup.py does install the headers, but in a Numeric
>>  > subdirectory.
>>  >
>>  > ls
>>  > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3/
>>  > Numeric
>>  > arrayobject.h  f2c.h  ranlib.h  ufuncobject.h
>>
>>  And this is the same as what happens when you install Numeric from
>>  source (be it through Package Manager or
>>  manually).
>
>Ok, this seems reasonable. Installing from source makes sense if you are
>developing extensions.
>
>Now, does anyone know how to write a setup.py that will indicate that
>there are headers in ...../include/python2.3/Numeric/
>
>Note that I can't hard-code the path, because Linux puts the whole pile
>somewhere else, and I want it to work with other versions of python. I
>guess what I would like it for distutils to automatically look in
>sub-directories of the main include directory, but it doesn't seem to do
>this by default.

I do remember that with some version of Numeric that the includes changed from

#include <arrayobject.h>

#include <Numeric/arrayobject.h>

I suspect that this may solve your problem. I was annoyed by this
change as well.
--
Rob Managan               email managan at llnl.gov
LLNL                      phone: 925-423-0903
P.O. Box 808, L-095       FAX:   925-422-3389
Livermore, CA  94551-0808