[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPackageManager prototype

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Fri Aug 15 23:19:26 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Sorry for being quiet for a while. Had two exams and some work
deadlines that kept me incapacitated. ;-) Since I know that geeks like
to play with things more than look at them, I decided to post a
prototype of wxPackageManager instead of posting another boring
screenshot. Without further ado:

http://www.theolliviers.com/wxPackMan.tar.gz

Just unpack and double-click on wxPackageManager.app! Note that it
requires MacPython OS X 2.3 and the latest wxPython (binary installer
available at http://www.wxpython.org) to run. I've used this prototype
to implement some new ideas, and I'd like to hear your thoughts. I've
added a (non-functional) category selector and search box, and also
implemented a "properties" box that shows various properties of the
software that was selected. It also implements the pretty, lickable
status buttons to show if a package is installed, in need of update, or
not installed (or broken dependency). Note that I consider a broken
dependency to be equated to a non-installed program; while to PackMan
implementers they are different, the end user should not have to even
think about dependency issues - they just want to click "Install" and
have everything work. ;-) If PackMan tries and it can't be installed, I
think only then PackMan should prompt the user and let them know
there's an issue they need to resolve and give them guidance.

Oh, and I've gotten this to work on Windows (of course, there are no
packages yet...!) by copying plistlib.py and pimp.py from
<PythonSrc>/lib/plat-mac into the Python/lib directory. (Oh, and I
needed to comment out the code for finding the Windows install path...
need to fix that. =) I imagine a similar process will work for *nix. It
doesn't look *quite* as good as the OS X version, but that is to be
expected. ;-) Making progress...!

Oh, and one question - how hard would it be to show the PKG-INFO file
when selecting the package? I'm thinking of putting that info in
instead of the description textbox. Of course, if I could pull that
info direct from PyPI... =)

Thanks,

Kevin