[Pythonmac-SIG] Distribution

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Fri Aug 22 17:18:34 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, 20 August 2003, at 20:25, João Leão wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> could anyone give some hints about distribution of Python programs on
> OS X?
> More precisely: what are the possibilities of distributing a program
> to someone who doesn't have Python? (Standalone or Applet +
> dependencies)
>
> I tried tu use the "freeze" module but something goes wrong in the
> "make" part of the process and i couldn't find any additional
> documentation.
> I also remember that someone talked recently in this sig about
> "bundlebuilder" but again i don't know how to use this.

bundlebuilder has online documentation (e.g. help("bundlebuilder") from
the interpreter).

Here's an example of how you can use bundlebuilder:

#########
from bundlebuilder import buildapp

OTHERSRC=[
     'WSTApplicationDelegateClass.py',
     'WSTConnectionWindowControllerClass.py']

buildapp(
         name = "Web Services Tool",
         mainprogram = "Main.py",
         resources = ["English.lproj", "Preferences.png", "Reload.png",
"WST.png"] + OTHERSRC,
         nibname = "MainMenu",
         iconfile = "WST.icns",
)

This script is used to build an applet for one of the PyObjC examples.
This script is usually named 'buildapp.py', and you can use 'python
buildapp.py build' to build the applet. The '--standalone' flag can be
used to build a standalone application.

Ronald