[Pythonmac-SIG] unixy python and applescript

Chris Lee cjl at physics.otago.ac.nz
Thu Aug 28 10:02:07 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I use an application called Pro Fit for graphing, data analysis and
some numerical analysis.  However I do most of my numerical work in
python and now I want to link the two :)

What I am doing at the moment is using an applescript to get the
variables out of ProFit and then I am calling do script 'thescript v1
v2 v3....'
I have a python function which extracts the variables and then returns
the result to applescript which in turn passes it back to Pro Fit.  It
all works just fine provided you have set up all your paths in
environment.plist file.  The problem of course is that it is very slow.

I know that Macpython can be linked directly with applescript but what
I really want to do is to allow the user to choose which python they
use (so they install the minimum of stuff to use it).  What modules
have to be installed for the UNIX pythons (either apple or third party
installed) to communicate with an applescript ?

Cheers
Chris
Chris Lee
Physics Department