[Pythonmac-SIG] libxml2 on 10.3 (Panther)

Paul Donovan paul at donovansbrain.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 16:24:01 EST 2003

On 4 Dec 2003, at 10:56, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 4-dec-03, at 10:10, Paul Donovan wrote:
>
>> How do I go about putting the finished module into the Package
>> Manager? Is there any documentation on the procedure?
>
> You ask me:-) Actually, you find a couple of people who are
> interested, and ask me all together.
>
> If the package needs some additional stuff then you can speed things
> up by providing me with a complete recipe of what to download, where
> to put it and which commands to run.

curl -O ftp://xmlsoft.org/python/libxml2-python-2.5.4.tar.gz
tar xzvf libxml2-python-2.5.4.tar.gz
cd libxml2-python-2.5.4
sudo python setup.py build install

/Library/Python/2.3/ will now contain libxml2.py, libxml2.pyc and
libxml2mod.so

You'll know better than me whether the .py* files are required.

If you want to test that the module works, download:

http://ftp.linux.org.uk/mirrors/ftp.gnome.org/sources/libxml2/2.5/
libxml2-2.5.4.tar.bz2

unpack it, then cd to libxml2-2.5.4/python/tests. Each of the .py files
in that folder will test various aspects of libxml2. They should all
return 'OK' when run, although I found that 3 of the xpath tests leaked
4 or 8 bytes.

> With this specific package the question is what we want to do about
> OSX 10.2:
> a) forget about it

Gets my vote ;-)

> b) support it only if a specific libxml2 (fink?) has already been
> installed

http://www.zveno.com/open_source/libxml2xslt.html has the 'official'
binaries (linked to from www.xmlsoft.org). It currently has version
2.6.2 for 10.2. You'd then obviously need to download the correct
python bindings as detailed above. I haven't tested if it works, and it
would mean that PackageManager would need to supply two different
modules.

Cheers,

Paul