[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie question on MacPython--Carbon & Cocoa

Kevin Walzer kevin at wordtechweb.com
Mon Dec 8 03:58:53 EST 2003

I'm a newbie to programming and I'm starting with Python because the
language is both simple and powerful. As a Mac person, though, I'm
interested in developing small GUI applications. I have played around a
little bit with Pythoncard and wxPython, and it seems to be a good
combination, but I'd prefer to take advantage of  OS X-specific
technologies for the interface.

My question concerns the integration of Python with the Carbon and
Cocoa environments. Is it possible to build a GUI for MacPython with
Interface Builder via the Carbon modules? The documentation I've read
is not clear on that point.

The same question applies to Cocoa via the PyObjC bridge. Could one
build a GUI with Interface Builder if the PyObjC bridge  is installed,
with Python code on the back end? Does PyObjC translate cleanly between
the two languages?

If the answer to both questions is yes, which is simpler to work with?

Thanks.
---

Kevin Walzer, Ph.D.
Editor
WordTech Communications -- A New Paradigm of Poetry
http://www.wordtechcommunications.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:kevin at wordtechweb.com