[Pythonmac-SIG] How easy to just replace Panther's Python?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Dec 8 15:39:45 EST 2003

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how easy is it to overwrite
Panther's python (to avoid the issue of conficting versions of python)?

Will the binary installer do it, or should one install from source?

This is a very important question to me right now, because Python 2.3's
tkFileDialog.askopenfilename is broken, breaking a feature of my
application. I'm not sure what to tell users on MacOS X 10.3 as to how
to safely install a newer python.

-- Russell

(By the way, I haven't gotten around to installing Panther myself, yet.)