[Pythonmac-SIG] How easy to just replace Panther's Python?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Dec 9 07:28:02 EST 2003

On 8 Dec 2003, at 21:39, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how easy is it to overwrite
> Panther's python (to avoid the issue of conficting versions of python)?
>
> Will the binary installer do it, or should one install from source?

I would seriously argue against it. But if you really want to do it:
just installing a Jaguar MacPython and removing (or chmod 0-ing)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and /usr/bin/python* should
do the trick.

> This is a very important question to me right now, because Python 2.3's
> tkFileDialog.askopenfilename is broken, breaking a feature of my
> application. I'm not sure what to tell users on MacOS X 10.3 as to how
> to safely install a newer python.

Isn't it much easier to just replace tkFileDialog.askopenfilename? I.e.
create your own replacement routine and use that, or even assign it to
tkFileDialog.askopenfilename?

--
Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>        http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
Goldman