[Pythonmac-SIG] Later release of Python with MacPython on Jaguar?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Dec 9 17:07:01 EST 2003

On Dec 9, 2003, at 4:52 PM, Brian Lenihan wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2003, at 12:55 PM, Gary Robinson wrote:
>
>> Is it possible/good/recommended to build a later release like Python
>> 2.3.2
>> or 2.3.3RC1 on Jaguar to replace the MacPython-supplied python with
>> it?
>>
>> Are their known problems with doing so?
>>
>> We're seeing some behavior that is mysterious enough that we
>> currently think
>> it might be a bug in python. We're wondering if it would clear up
>> with a
>> later python release than the MacPython-supplied one.
>
> You are probably better off leaving Apple's Python alone.   I just
> rename
> everything so I can put it back later.   I wrote a script modeled
> after gcc_select
> to make it easy to switch back and forth.

Brian - These scripts are cool, but he is a Jaguar user and thus
doesn't have this particular issue.

Gay - There is no reason why you can't build and install a later
release of Python *instead of* installing Jack's MacPython.  However,
you may not be able to use PackageManager, and you definitely should
not attempt to have both yours and his installed at the same time (they
want to live in the same place, and their site-packages want to live in
the same place, etc).

Also, it would be cool if you described some of the "mysterious
behavior", just for our information -- maybe it's not a known bug, or
maybe it's a bug that has a workaround for 2.3.0, etc.