[Pythonmac-SIG] _program_name not found: dynamic libraries in Panther's Python

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Dec 10 00:53:45 EST 2003

On Dec 10, 2003, at 12:34 AM, Geoff Ghose wrote:

> I posted this query on usenet to not much avail, so I though I'd try a
> more directed audience.
>
> I'm trying to compile pybliographer, a python program for bibtex
> databases. Previously I had it working with fink's 2.2 python. Then I
> got the hair brained scheme to make use of the Python built into
> Panther (
> 10.3). After some fudging with LDFLAGS (-framework Python) I can get
> the
> compiled python modules to compile and load.
--cut--
> dyld: python Undefined symbols:
> _program_name
> Trace/BPT trap

It's an issue with the way that pybliographer and/or some of the
libraries it depends on were linked together.  It's not an issue
specific to Python, it's just that lots of software that hasn't been
properly ported to OS X yet assumes that there is a "flat" namespace,
where on OS X it is two level (unless bastardized into using one level
namespaces, which is more of a hack than a solution).  Fink's Python
2.2 build probably included one of these flat namespace bastardizations
("-flat-namespace -undefined suppress").  On Panther you can do it in a
less-hackish way with "-undefined dynamic_lookup", but the real
solution is to just link it together properly.

Perhaps someone who's familiar with the linker can take a look at this?
  I'm going on vacation Thursday so I don't know if I will have time.