[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: How easy to just replace Panther's Python?

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Wed Dec 10 19:27:51 EST 2003

On 12/10/03 3:33 PM, "Russell E. Owen" <rowen at cesmail.net> wrote:

> I'd much rather upgrade Python than work around bugs that have been
> fixed, especially since Python 2.3 has other known bugs.

I find this a bit disturbing. New versions are always going to have some
bugs that need fixing or working around. I think Python on the Mac will only
be taken up in a big way when pretty well everyone agrees to work with what
Apple supplies. You need to be be able to depend on users having the same
Python as you, the developer. I think that's what Jack and others have been
working towards, and have come much of the way. I keep waiting for the "all
clear" to get more involved myself, but it never seems to come.

Apple were pretty good about including Python 2.3 in OS 10.3 - even delaying
the odd deadline or two, from what I've been told, or in any case
coordinating them. Wouldn't the next step be to request Apple to include
Python version  updates in OS updates? So if Python 2.3.1 is ready for OS
10.3.2 beta testing, to please include it? Then you can just ask your users
to update to OS 10.3.2 when it comes out.

--
Paul Berkowitz