[Pythonmac-SIG] BundleBuilder aftermath

Keith Nemitz keithn at 2xtreme.net
Sun Dec 14 21:50:46 EST 2003

So what do you do with the 'app' that bundlebuilder creates? Basically,
when I launch the one I built, it quits politely.  I suppose my real
question is, is the app version able to 'print' during it's execution?
I'd love some feedback.

Here is my build file:

> import bundlebuilder, os
>
> # I set this to make adding subfolders into the package easier
> packageroot = "/Users/musenik/wednesday/project"
>
> # Create the AppBuilder
> myapp = bundlebuilder.AppBuilder(verbosity=1)
>
> # Tell it where to find the main script - the one that loads on startup
> myapp.mainprogram = os.path.join(packageroot, "main.py")
>
> myapp.standalone = 1
> #myapp.strip = 1
> myapp.name = "testApp"
>
> # Here we build the app!
> myapp.setup()
> myapp.build()

Here is the output after executing it:

> Finding module dependencies
> Building 'build/Wednesday the Witch.app'
> Copying files
> Adding Python modules
> Warning: couldn't find the following submodules:
>     (Note that these could be false alarms -- it's not always
>     possible to distinguish between "from package import submodule"
>     and "from package import name")
>   ? AppKit.NSApp
>   ? AppKit.NSApplication
>   ? AppKit.NSCriticalRequest
>   ? AppKit.NSImage
>   ? AppKit.NSMenu
>   ? AppKit.NSMenuItem
>   ? AppKit.NSTerminateLater
>   ? Foundation.NSDictionary
>   ? Foundation.NSLog
>   ? Foundation.NSObject
>   ? objc.selector
>   ? objc.setClassExtender
>   ? objc.setSignatureForSelector
> Warning: couldn't find the following modules:
>   ? messagebox
>   ? os.path
> Done.

I assume that the 'false alarms' really are false.
I don't know what messagebox is, probably called from one of the
libraries (pygame and such). There is no messagebox.py in my filesystem.
I assume os.path is also a false alarm.

I've spent the day searching for info on this topic, and I've found
plenty and feel great about having got this far. But now I'm stuck. I
would greatly appreciate some help from a more experienced bundle
builder.

Keith Nemitz