[Pythonmac-SIG] Yet another problem with two Pythons on Panther

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Dec 16 05:39:50 EST 2003

On 16 Dec 2003, at 1:13, Stuart Bishop wrote:

> If 'monkey patching' distutils is still an option (I haven't seen any
> other ideas on how to stop an installation of Python in
> /Library/Frameworks
> breaking the shipped installation in /System/Library/Frameworks), the
> adding the following three files into /Library/Python appears to work,
> and is about as clean as I can see this dubious-yet-supported mechanism
> getting.

I was thinking along the same lines, but this has one large
disadvantage:
*every* python script that you run will start off by patching
distutils. Not only
is this bad for performance, but if there is an error somewhere in the
patch
it will lead to bery confusing error messages (to the end user).

Can someone think a way of doing this patch *only* when distutils is
run?
--
Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>        http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
Goldman