[Pythonmac-SIG] Yet another problem with two Pythons on Panth er

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick at usa.xerox.com
Tue Dec 16 09:44:03 EST 2003

> I was thinking along the same lines, but this has one large
> disadvantage:
> *every* python script that you run will start off by patching
> distutils. Not only
> is this bad for performance, but if there is an error
> somewhere in the
> patch
> it will lead to bery confusing error messages (to the end user).
>
> Can someone think a way of doing this patch *only* when distutils is
> run?

Jack,

	I'm not sure this will help, especially since my use of distutils,
is
	next to zero...

	But what about checking to see if distutils has been imported?  If
it has
	been imported, and we're running the setup.py application (i.e.
argv[0] )
	then it's a application that is attempting to install a
application...

		- Benjamin