[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter on Panther?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Dec 22 21:04:24 EST 2003

On Dec 23, 2003, at 7:30 AM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> I've finally installed Panther today, and am trying to get my Python up
> to date.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to do about Tkinter. The issue is that
> Apple seems to have included tcl with Panther
> (/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl) but there's no sign of Tk (what was
> Apple thinking?).

They were probably thinking that TclTkAqua is buggy and unstable

> I could run the usual binary Tcl/Tk installer, but that would add both
> Tk and Tcl framework to /Library/Frameworks, and I'm worried about the
> two Tcl frameworks colliding (e.g. something similar to the known
> problems with Python).

It's not really similar, in your case you almost definitely want
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl to override /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl for
"-framework Tcl" .. which is what will happen.

> The only other options I've thought of are:
> - Trash Tcl (and possibly Python) in System/Library/Frameworks and
> start
> over, putting everything in /Library/Frameworks. This has the advantage
> that I can easily apply updates. But I wonder if it'll break any Apple
> stuff that relies on Tcl (or Python). What are the dangers of this?

DO NOT EVER TRASH ANYTHING IN /System! EVER!
(small patches to known broken files are ok, though)

> - Run the tk binary installer and try to get it to see
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl but then install Tk in
> /Library/Frameworks. Sounds ghastly.

It's not, it works fine.