[Pythonmac-SIG] Help files not installed

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Fri Dec 26 17:15:55 EST 2003

I have a new Panther 10.3.2 installation (via archive and install
upgrading from 10.2.8, followed by a permissions fix). I installed the
MacPython add-ons and ran Package manager to add various packages
including python docs. Everything went fine with one odd exception: the
MacPython, Package Manager and python help files are not found by the
Help Viewer (and I have no idea if they actually exist).

Asking for MacPython Help or Package Manager Help from within Package
Manager brings up a blank help window. The Library menu in Help Viewer
contains plenty of stuff, but none related to python.

I also tried two long-shot things with no success:
- I reinstalled Documentation-2.3-binary using overwrite. No change but
no surprise.
- I searched for one of the python doc html files (atom-literals.html).
No luck, but again no surprise (Find doesn't seem to look inside
packages).

Everything else I have tried seems to work. The other packages I
installed ended up in /Library/Python/2.3/ and the ones I've tried
(readlines, Numeric, _tkinter) are fine.

So it's no big deal. Overall MacPython is just fine. But I'd like to
know what's going on and am happy to do any tests that might help debug
a more widespread problem.

-- Russell