[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Beginner's questions

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Dec 27 10:28:56 EST 2003

On 26-dec-03, at 22:54, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> From terminal, use the "pythonw" command (note the "w"). You'll have to
> do this for wxPython as well. I do not know of any way of doing the
> right thing from a "#!" line.

Use
"#!/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/
Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python", just like the pythonw script itself
does.

> This is one good reason to also have a fink python or other X11/unix
> python around. Another good reason is that aqua tk has some cosmetic
> bugs.

Note that you can also do this without installing a second Python. If
you put _tkinter.so for X11 in, say, ~/Library/X11-Python and you add
that directory to $PYTHONPATH. You could create a script x11python
containing

	#!/bin/sh
	PYTHONPATH=~/Library/X11-Python:$PYTHONPATH
	exec /usr/bin/python "$@"

should do the trick, I think (untested).
Goldman