[Pythonmac-SIG] building extensions for 2.3 (darwin build), and UUID generation

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 31 12:10:14 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 10:51:21AM -0600, Paul Miller wrote:
> Two questions here, as I have just started working with 2.3 on OS X.
>
> The "old way" (ie. with CFM MacPython) to make extension modules was to
> build a shared library, but I don't see a shared library option for the
> Mach-O stationary, so I can only assume I need to build a Framework. I
> haven't done this yet - can someone point me to some documentation on how
> to build extension modules for the Mach-O Python?

Extension modules aren't packages, they're just single Mach-O bundle
files.  I assume from your mention of stationery that you're using
CodeWarrior.  In the target settings, "PPC Mac OS X Target" pane, you
should set "Project Type:" to "Bundle".  I'm not sure if it is
possible to specify the equivalent of the -bundle_loader flag for
Apple's Mach-O linker, and when I tried to compile an extension, I
got:

Link Error   : undefined: 'start' (code)

which makes me think it's not actually trying to compile a bundle.
This is on CW8.3, CW9 might have fixed some of these problems.

You can also try using distutils, it does a reasonable (though not
perfect) job.

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>