[Pythonmac-SIG] flat_namespace is _bad_

Bob Ippolito bob@redivi.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:59:31 -0500

Just a note that I think you all should know, if you're trying to port
*any* python modules to OS X 10.2's Python 2.2, it's a *really good
idea* to edit /usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile and make this change:

LDSHARED=   $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -bundle -bundle_loader /usr/bin/python
BLDSHARED=  $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -bundle -bundle_loader /usr/bin/python
#LDSHARED=  $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress
#BLDSHARED= $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress

In addition to removing the -arch i386 from elsewhere in the file,
which you presumably already have if you've gotten this far.

Basically what I really ran into problems with was PyOpenGL, the same
symbols were defined in multiple modules.. I could load one, but not
the others.  Now I can load them all (I'm still not sure if they work
or not.. but.. they compile and load now).

-bob