[Pythonmac-SIG] Cocoa apps in Python?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:41:21 +0100

Danny Yoo wrote:

> Has anyone written any more tutorials on PyObjC?  The only one I've
> seen so far is on Oreilly's macdevcenter.com:
>
>     http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/01/31/pyobjc_one.html
>
> I'm just curious if there's a gentler introduction, or if PyObjC is a
> fast-moving target that introductions are still bound to be outdated
> in weeks?

It's moving, but slowing down. Your best bet is to check out the PyObjC
examples, and learn how to translate ObjC method syntax to Python:

    [obj foo:x bar:y]

translates to

    obj.foo_bar_(x, y)  # note the funny underscores

The canonical way to spell the ObjC method signature is

    foo:bar:

Replacing every : with an _ gets you the Python method name. Methods
without arguments don't get funny underscores: [app delegate] becomes
app.delegate().

Once you're familiar with this you should be able to use any Cocoa
tutorial that uses Objective-C. Also check the pyobjc-dev mailing list
archives, there have been other examples posted.

Just