[Pythonmac-SIG] sanity checks: building MacOS X app

John Speno macpython@lopan.dccs.upenn.edu
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:56:13 -0500

> >>Although, I highly recommend NOT using aquaTk.
> >
> >I'll bite: Why not?
>
> It's unstable (something of a late alpha quality) and ugly on OS X, you
> should use PyObjC if possible, if not, try wxWindows (if the GUI has to
> be cross-platform) or something.. tkinter is kind of old and convoluted
> too.

If it turns out that aquaTK is really that bad, we'll have to force MacOS X
users to use Tkinter under X11 instead. In my testing, that's what I used
and it seems just fine.

At the time the GUI code was written, it was the only cross platform
choice. I'm afraid we won't have time to switch.

P.S. I still haven't had time to get everything packaged up yet, but hope
to get to it soon. Then there's the windows version...blah.