[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: MacPython 2.3a2 on OSX 10.1

Nick Matsakis matsakis@mit.edu
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:29:14 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, John Ehresman wrote:

> It would be nice to support 10.1, particularly since 10.2 is not a free
> upgrade and some people never upgrade the OS after they buy their
> computer.

Some Macs shipped with 10.0. I don't see that as a reason to support it.
Mac OS X has developed a lot, but I think it is clear that much has firmed
up in 10.2.  While I find it very annoying that Apple both charged full
price and provided no 10.1 -> 10.2 upgrade path, I think that the
installed base will move from 10.1 in short order.

So many of Apple's new programs are 10.2 only: Safari, Keynote, X11, etc.
and this seems to be the case with a lot of third-party software.  I think
it will be hard to for many people to stay on 10.1 when 10.2 offers so
much.

Nick Matsakis