[Pythonmac-SIG] Building Mac extensions for Apple Python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:37:04 +0100

On vrijdag, jan 3, 2003, at 15:59 Europe/Amsterdam, Kevin Ollivier
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've taken some time out to try out the new MacPython extensions to
> Apple's included Python, but I'm getting errors when trying to build.

Kevin,
I seriously broke this last week, when I modified a large part of the
source tree to move most of the Mac modules to Lib/plat-mac (from the
original Mac/Lib location). So, for the time being I've removed
Makefile.jaguar and setup.jaguar.py. As the schedule was extremely
tight (I started on this less than 48 hours before 2.3a1 came out) I
had no time to keep them functional.

Although the breakage you see (_AE failing to build) is caused by an
earlier mod of mine it is difficult to fix right now.

I will try to revive the MacPython-OSX-on-top-of-Python-2.2 (especially
now I know that you are interested too, I could use a hand!), but it
will have to wait. First I have to get MacPython-OS9-2.3a1 out the
door, and that will be another few days.

If you are willing to revive things, here's what needs to be done:
- Check out the last versions of Makefile.jaguar and setup.jaguar.py
(checking out with a date of 28-dec-2002 should work)
- Check out the previous version of Makefile, compare to the current
version and work out which bits I removed (mainly the copying of
$(srcdir)/Mac/Lib to the destination). That functionality will have to
go into Makefile.jaguar, but with $(srcdir)/Lib/plat-mac as the source.
- Then you'll have to find out where the bug you're seeing is coming
from. PyObject_Del is declared for python 2.2 (in
/usr/include/python2.2/objimpl.h) so I really have no idea why it would
fail...
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -