[Pythonmac-SIG] Off Topic: X11 for OS X

Bob Ippolito bob@mastersofbranding.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:16:19 -0500

Yeah, I just started playing with it, it doesn't come with anything
special other than the quartz_wm and window server.. however it does
seem to have excellent OpenGL support!

As far as UI goes, you can cmd-tilde though windows, and there's a
window list in the menubar.. but the window list isn't in the
contextual menu of the X11 dock item.  X11 windows don't show up in the
dock unless they're minimized.

It looks like it has FreeType in there with working support (it does
include a couple ttf fonts); I can't confirm this, but I'm pretty sure
it works.  It has all the standard XFree86 fonts as well.  Fonts are
not antialiased, and you don't get your OS X fonts.

It does NOT have DPS support, though it has a couple of the
applications sitting around in there.  I wonder if it's dirt from the
NeXT days or if they plan on adding this feature?

It's kind of freaky if you run xeyes, it has a transparent background,
with dropshadows on the eyes!  It uses the X11 window's visible to do
drop shadows, not the rectangle.

Clipboard support works *perfectly* as far as I can tell (for text..
converts rich text on OS X to plain text for X11), but drag & drop
doesn't work either way (nor should it, really).

xmag doesn't seem to work (shows up all black).. probably something to
do with being rootless?
xman says no manual pages found

that's about all I could come up with.. without trying to compile
anything.