[Pythonmac-SIG] Sending emails via localhost

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
14 Jan 2003 15:39:17 +0000

Lee Joramo <lee.list@joramo.com> writes:

> I am trying to send mail from  python's smtplib via the localhost, and
> get an error:
>
> 	socket.error: (61, 'Connection refused')
>
> a quick search of the net indicates that Mac OS X 10.2 does not have a
> localhost SMTP server running by default. I want python to be able to
> send mail to local accounts for administrative notices and I want to be
> able to test web development code while my powerbook is not on the net.
>
> I suspect that I need to learn how to setup sendmail or some other mail
> server on my system, but I was hoping that other mac python users may
> have some experience to share.

Mac OS X has /usr/bin/mail...

sendmail seems to be installed, but as you say not started by default.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Those who have deviant punctuation desires should take care of their
  own perverted needs.                  -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp