[Pythonmac-SIG] Boa runs fine under OSX

Donovan Preston dsposx at mac.com
Sat Jul 5 15:01:15 EDT 2003

On Saturday, July 5, 2003, at 1:16PM, Kevin Altis wrote:

>> From: Torsten Sadowski
>>
>> Hi,
>> I#m happy to report, that Boa Constructor runs fine on MacOSX
>> with Python2.3b2
>> and wxPython2.4.1.2. So far I had no crashes. Only some small problems
>> remain:
>> Window placement does not care for the menubar and the dock. If
>> someone
>> could tell me the right way to get those critters position, I would be
>> grateful.
>> Text editing is slow (slower than under Debian on a slower computer).
>> The
>> possible cause is the antialiesed text. Is there any possibility to
>> turn
>> this off and where can I change the default font.
>>
>> Torsten Sadowski
>
> The speed problem is more likely due to the use of the Carbon API and
> WaitNextEvent. In order to make other apps more responsive and reduce
> the
> percent of CPU consumed when a Python/wxPython app is running, the
> default
> polling was reduced several versions ago in wxPython. One result is
> that
> event heavy operations like text editing that aren't handled entirely
> by a
> native widget can feel unresponsive. The only real solution is a
> version of
> wxWindows based on the Cocoa API.

Carbon apps can remove dependency on WaitNextEvent and it's hideously
inefficient event loop style by switching over to the Carbon Events
api. Carbon Events allows the developer to install callback functions
and run a single mainloop function which will block efficiently,
dispatching to the callbacks as needed, until the application quits.
It's not necessary to make the great effort to switch over to the Cocoa
API, which would be a ton of work.

dp