[Pythonmac-SIG] PythonMac bundle verses daemon design choice

Randy Chapel randy.chapel at propel.com
Tue Jul 8 10:10:53 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I am moving our PC code over to the Mac.  Currently, the PC version only
shows up in the process manager and not under the applications list in the
task window.  The PC version also has a UI, but it only shows up in the
system tray.

What I would like to do, is have the Mac UI show up in the Menu bar at the
top right of the screen like the sound, battery or Apple Remote Access UI
does.  However, that code is in Cocoa.

The main part of the program on the PC has several files which a startup
script accesses.  The program uses Gordon McMillan's software to create one
.exe  I am told that I can use Jack Jansen's code and create a bundle on the
Mac.  Either way, I will obfuscate the .zip

While creating a bundle would be the easy thing to do, what I don't want is
the user to have access to the python side of the program in the dock.  When
I run the menu statusbar, it currently does not show up in the dock.  Like
on the PC, I only want them to see the UI side and not get at the guts of
the program (unless you know what you are doing).  Also, I am not really
keen on mixing a Cocoa and Python interpret wrapper together.  So I have
thought of creating a daemon Python interpret wrapper to run our program.
Since this is not a bundle, I would have the obfuscated .zip code located at
/Library/Application Support/Propel/{}.zip

So now that I have explained this, I am sure that someone has come across
this design problem before and came up with a cool answer.  Is there anyone
else out there willing to put in their 2 cents?

Thank you in advance,

Randy