[Pythonmac-SIG] Embedding and PyObjC - 2.3 Framework?

Glenn Andreas gandreas at delver.com
Wed Jul 16 10:19:14 EDT 2003

I've got the start of a project that I want to use PyObjC with
embedded python, but I'm running into a problem.

According to the PyObjC embedding docs, one should use the 2.3 based
Python.Framework.  When I do this, when the objc is dynamically
loaded, it fails, being unable to find PyDescr_IsData (and a quick nm
& grep shows that it isn't in the 2.3 based framework that I
downloaded last night).  Since I had the 2.2.1 sources handy, I
compiled the 2.2 based Python.Framework, and when linking with that,
everything works.  (I also tried to statically link in the 2.2.1
libpython.a that I build, but that has other problems).

This is basically an IDE (similar to the OS 9/Carbon Python IDE, but
built with Cocoa), so at this point since it is targetting
developers, telling them "download the latest Python.Framework and
PyObjC" is acceptable (if it worked), but "download the 2.2.1
sources, compile & install the framework, and then download PyObjC"
is just a bit above the pain threshold.

Ultimately, of course, I'd like to have a single app that can be
downloaded with no other external requirements, but that's a problem
for later...

Glenn Andreas                      gandreas at delver.com
Author of Macintosh games: Theldrow 2.3, Blobbo 1.0.2, Cythera 1.0.2
Be good, and you will be lonesome