[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: new 2.3rc1+ installer

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Wed Jul 23 14:18:15 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 03:46  AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 10:58 Europe/Amsterdam, Jack Jansen
> wrote:
>> I've found the culprit (the binary inside Python.app has been renamed
>> from "python" to "Python" to adhere to Apple's guidelines), I'm
>> fixing and testing it right now, I'll do a new rc1+ installer later
>> today.
>
> A new installer is available as
> <http://ftp.cwi.nl/jack/python/mac/newer/MacPython-OSX-2.3rc1plus-
> 8.dmg>. It has the pythonw bug fixed, and in addition I've taken out
> the "root disk only" option, replacing it with a warning in the README
> that you should only install on your active system disk. The
> root-disk-only option was causing too many problems.
>
> There's still the problem (also noted here) that the welcome message
> doesn't have a scrollbar. I have no idea how to fix this, so comments
> are welcome. And if someone still has any ideas on how to fix the
> root-disk-only option: the old -6 installer is still available to play
> with, let me know about any bright ideas.

Just tried the installer and everything worked fine for me. I was able
to load up and run my wxPython app via pythonw, and I updated some
packages from the PM without problems. BTW, I did notice one minor bug
- if you have a package installed, but it is old, after updating it via
PM the status does not update (i.e. it doesn't change from 'old' to
'yes'). It does, however, update when you restart PM so it's not a big
issue.

With regards to the welcome message - have you tried using RTF format
for the message? That seems to be Apple's preferred format for
installer messages. Thanks to bundlebuilder.py I don't need to write
installers anymore =), but I never had any problems using RTF format.

Thanks,

Kevin